Lunches are provided by The Community College canteen at the cost of £2.30 per day.
Pupils eat their lunch in the canteen.
Lunchtime is 12.30 pm to 1.00 pm which is separate to The Community College pupils.
Pupils can bring in their own packed lunches if they wish to, please see further information below.
As you know schools must meet the Educational Nutritional Standards and Requirements for School Food (Department for Education legislation) which includes packed lunches brought from home.
A child’s school packed lunch should include the following:
- A portion of starchy food, e.g bap/bread, pitta bread, plain crackers, pasta or rice salad
- Fresh fruit and vegetables, e.g. apple/orange/banana, tomatoes, carrots sticks
- A portion of milk or dairy food, e.g. cheese, plain/fruit yoghurt
- Portion of lean meat, fish or alternative, e.g. Quorn, cheese, tuna, egg
- A drink: fruit juice (not fizzy or diluted squash), plain water and or milk
- A child’s school packed lunch must not contain any of the following:
- Crisps or any packeted savoury snack including salted nuts (Instead, include nuts, seeds, vegetables and fruit – with no added salt, sugar or fat – savoury crackers or breadsticks.)
- Confectionery such as chocolate bars, chocolate-coated biscuits and sweets. (Cakes and biscuits are allowed but encourage your child to eat these only as part of a balanced meal. Bourbon biscuits and plain chocolate cake can be included as these are made with cocoa)
- Fizzy or sugary drinks. Water is always available for children at lunchtime
Please Note Parents who would like some advice on healthy packed lunches can find out more information from these websites.
If you think your child may be entitled to free school meals, please ask for a form from the Bishop’s Castle team on 01939 232372 and return ASAP.